Thursday, December 4, 2008

I think I'll try defying gravity



After being in Athens for six months, I think I have just now started to appreciate how awesome and beautiful this place can be. I lived here once before, about 14 years ago. But actually being a student at UGA is (expectedly) so much different. It has definitely taken some getting used to after going to Perimeter for almost three years. I went from a tiny college with five buildings to a huge university where I had to rearrange my schedule because 15 minutes wasn't enough time to get from class to class. It's impossible to get on a bus during class changes, just as impossible to find somewhere to study during finals week, and sharing a campus with 30,000 other students can get pretty overwhelming. But I can honestly say I have loved every minute of it. To me, there's something really cool about finding the perfect place to study (which I found yesterday - the second floor I didn't know existed in the Starbucks downtown), or sitting in the SLC with a coffee from Jittery Joe's and watching all the people walk by. They're such little things, but they make the whole experience even better.

Since I've been here, I've done a lot of thinking about what I want to do after graduation. I'm only a few classes away from having a BA in psychology, but there's not much in that field without a graduate degree. None of the grad school programs here looked that interesting to me, so I've decided to go back to my freshman-year plan of trying to go to medical school. This means I have to stay at UGA at least another semester beyond when I planned to graduate. I have to take six extra classes in chemistry and physics, and take the MCAT sometime in the next year or so. If you're wondering, yes, I'm crazy. I've wondered if I can even do it, because my grades have honestly not been wonderful lately. But I think if I really try and put my mind to it, 
I can get there somehow. 

I guess with this, and everything else, I'll just have to wait and see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment